Hello Friends & Supporters!
The second quarter of 2017 has come and gone in a flash. Check out the major milestones we’ve hit and what we’re planning to do next.
Skip to the bottom of the post to see what we’re working on and how you can help us grow!
- We started off with 2 new interns:
- Katie is a Fashion Intern from Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY . She is working on new ways to utilize our old, beat up purse scraps. She has come up with some amazing ideas, but we can’t share them just yet… Stay tuned to see what we create!
- Jassmeen is our Event Planning Intern from Hunter College, here in NYC. She planned Purses for Nurses’ very first private event, which took place this June. It was a wonderful success, and you can read more about it below! Now she is working on our next public event, planned for mid-August. We will lead a panel discussion addressing the emerging trends in global healthcare. Keep an eye out for your invite!
- Melissa attended a Sustainability Conference at FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology)and had the pleasure of meeting @ZeroWasteDaniel, a Brooklyn Fashion designer with a truly zero-waste design process, who recently opened Package Free Shop! She also spoke with other notable FIT alumni and learned about the sustainability efforts happening across all kinds of companies.
- Purses for Nurses surpassed 500 Instagram Followers, and continues to grow!
- Melissa & Sisi attended an event by the Female Founders fund where we met the Founders of Rockets of Awesome, Zola, and Eloquii
- Each of our board members finished the search for a personal mentor and began nurturing those new relationships.
- We had a booth in the vendor fair at a local screening of Before the Flood.
- Melissa participated alongside Donna Karan (yes, as in DKNY!) and Kay Unger, in a critique of hospital gowns created by the students of Parson’s Design school and sponsored by Care & Wear.
- We had a beautiful Spring photoshoot in Central Park, courtesy of Haley’s Portraits to show off some of our favorite new additions.
- We made our first bulk sale of purses, turning over more inventory in one sale than ever before – over 400 purses!
- We had a record month for incoming purse donations – 160 total! As well as our biggest donation to date, 104 purses(!) from Emilie Gustavsen and her daughters in Montclair, NJ
- We raised $1040 at our Talbot’s Shopping Fundraiser – the most ever raised at a Purses for Nurses event!
- We attended our second annual Donate NYC Conference. And this time, our intern Katie came along!
- Purses for Nurses hosted a private brainstorming session (photos below), with carefully chosen participants to help us solve some of the internal obstacles we face as a donations-based organization. It was a huge success!
- We enhanced our connections with multiple businesses and organizations, including Salvation Army, Care + Wear, Junk Luggers, and more.
Where we need you:
- Nurses! We need 2 nurses willing to travel abroad for free (tough sell, I know) in March or April of 2018. Your trip will be fully funded if you commit to a small project with us! Apply here.
- Volunteers! We always need help preparing boxes for shipments and processing purses. If you love handbags, this is the opportunity for you! Times are super flexible and I’ll provide lunch and/or breakfast & coffee!
- Publicity! Help us spread the word about events, or consider inviting us to one of yours. Share this blog post on Facebook, Twitter, or anywhere else you like!